Home
Home About Us Evolution of the Group

Evolution of the Group

As mentioned earlier, the firm was established in Mumbai by Mr. C.R. Sharp in 1932. Mr. B.R. Tannan joined as a Partner in 1934, when the name of the firm was styled “Sharp & Tannan”.

Mr. G.T. Khare joined the firm as the third Partner in 1950.

In 1961, when Mr. Sharp decided to curtail his activities and return to his home in Scotland, two more Partners were inducted, Mr. H.K. Bilpodiwala and Mr. P.M. Phadke.

In 1968, a separate firm with the name of Sharp & Tannan, Delhi, was established in New Delhi.

On 1st April 1969, Mr. Tannan also announced that he was curtailing his activities in the firm and Mr. G.T. Khare was appointed as the Managing Partner.

Both the founding Partners of the firm retired with effect from 1st April 1974. Mr. G.T. Khare also stepped down as Managing Partner and appointed Mr. H.K. Bilpodiwala as the new Managing Partner. Mr. Khare continued as a Senior Partner till he also curtailed his activities in 1978.

In 1976, a separate entity was formed called Sharp & Tannan Associates, primarily to focus on internal audits and management services.

The Chennai (then Madras) practise was established in 1980. Thereafter, in 1988, the Pune office was opened as a branch, followed by the Bangalore branch in 1990.

The Baroda, Goa, Hyderabad  and Ahmedabad offices were set up in 1994, 2000, 2003  and 2016 respectively.

Mr. H.K. Bilpodiwala stepped down as the Managing Partner in 2006 and Mr. S.T. Kunte was appointed as the new Managing Partner.

The Group presently has an all-India staff strength of around 475, headed by 21 Partners and 5 Directors.

Back to About Us